Tuesday, May 1, 2012

two-fold: patience and purpose

The first thing I want to take care of is the purpose of this blog. I started it with the purpose of discussing teacher things but as of right now I am taking a different path.  This blog will be for personal revelations, stories, and life updates ;) I'm sure some teacher things will be in here as well since that is my life but I will probably start another blog for that sole purpose! So hopefully you are willing to follow me as I share life with you. 
Secondly, patience.  What looks like a simple word is a life long struggle for me.  Today was yet another test of this.  I went on a field/mission trip with a class of freshman. We were working hard outside at a camp site cleaning it up. It was overall a good productive day. There were only a few times were I really had to get on the kids to keep working. They were great. But as the day was winding down, we had to trek back to where we began... a loooooong way away. We finally got there, relaxed, and waited for the bus.... and waited......and waited. We had to wait for over 45 minutes for the bus to arrive. Unfortunately and surprisingly, the teens handled the situation better than I did. I was very hot and tired and frustrated. After quite some time, I realized that most of the students had moved on and were talking about other things and laughing and having a good time.  I was put in my place. I knew that I could do nothing but waiting kept getting at me. It wasn't until the bus arrived that I said to myself 'that wasn't that bad'. Now sitting on my comfy couch thinking about my day, the parts that I remember were the good parts, the productive parts, the bonding times. I've learned today, and know I will learn it multiple more times, that I need to keep perspective. Waiting on a bus to take me home is not going to ruin me. I need to learn to be patient, especially when things are out of my hands.  So that is my lesson for the day.  Patience.  What are you learning or working on in your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment