Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Surprises of Abuja

A friend recently asked me what things have been surprising since being here. At first I didnt have an answer but once I thought about it a handful of exciting things came to mind. Im so thankful she asked me that question to help me realize some of the great things about being here.

First, having a common language of English has been super helpful. Im not as afraid to step out because I know I will be able to communicate on some level with most people I would run into.  It means I can order food, get an Uber, call people, talk to custodians and security guards. It helps me feel safe and opens doors that in Thailand or many other places I might not have had.

Another surprise is how many expats there are. I have already done events at one of the US embassies and the British Embassy as well.  There are tons of things happening all the time.  Everyone is super nice and understanding that we all are living abroad and may need some extra grace a time or two. Its also nice that it is diverse and not just Americans but people from all over.

The grocery stores have tons of things! Some things still cost a lot more than I would pay in America, but most of the things I might want to have I can get. And there are even some things that I dont want or miss that I can get :)

Some of the luxuries that I had in Thailand are still available here.  They are a bit more expensive than in Southeast Asia but not nearly the price of America.  I can get my nails done or get a massage for a cheap price.  We have food delivery and all kinds of restaurants.  I can get clothes tailor made just for me (which is my plan this week) with Nigerian fabrics or regular clothes AND I wont have to tell them that I need a big size for my hips!

The weather so far has been wonderful. Its rainy season right now and that means that most afternoons it rains for 30-40 minutes.  Some nights it rains all night, but it hasnt rained much during the days. It has even been sorta chilly at times in the evening (like low 70s)! Also there are pretty sunsets here so that is cool too! I didnt get to see many sunsets in Chiang Mai so its a nice change.

Im sure there are more things but thats all my brain has for now. I have been pleasantly surprised with Abuja so far and have a feeling it will just continue!
Sunset over Jabi Lake. Jabi Lake Mall overlooks the lake!


CrossFit workout at the British Embassy compound

Sand Volleyball at the US Embassy compound that connects to our school

No comments:

Post a Comment