Monday, August 13, 2012

School is almost here


13/08 The last day before school starts. I am surprisingly not nervous….I guess I need to wait until tomorrow for that to set in! Well here are some highlights of our lives!

We have moved out of our tiny little hotel room.  We are now house sitting for a friend until her parents come home from the States Aug. 30th.  So we are now comfortable with a couch and dining table and a real kitchen.  We can cook and do as we please!  We are also still scrambling to find a place of our own by Aug 30th!! Since we moved I can no longer walk to school L Moe has had to drive me. 

We have gotten better at riding the motorbike.  We got official helmets and everything.  We look pretty legit! We did take a wrong turn on the way to school the other day but it was ok. We knew how to fix it.  Moe has also learned to drive in the rain and in flooded areas.  I think I jinxed us by saying it hasn’t rained much because the last few days it has POURED! We went out to dinner last night and we followed our friends in their car. As soon as we got there it starting pouring; it poured all through dinner and all the way home.  They were gracious enough to let me ride in the car and Moe followed with his new poncho.  It was during this time that we trekked on roads that had lots of water on them. Moe did wonderful. I am so proud of him.

Today we decided to go to the market which is around the corner every Monday. On our way there we got hit by a ton of rain.  We finally had an umbrella but it didn’t help a whole lot! We were both drenched by the time we got there.  BUT the rain did stop and we were able to enjoy the market.  We got dinner there and a few fun items for ourselves.  I definitely love this market shopping stuff. It is so fun to see all the different items and browse and buy!

Back to school updates! I have learned so much about school and Thai culture and education. But I still feel there are areas where I know nothing! We had our all staff meetings Wednesday and Thursday. I met lots of teachers and staff members.  I can remember some of them but for the most part I have no idea! I know the teachers around me and in my department so I think that is all that matters.  My goal this week is to remember/get to know the specials teachers! (those people are probably important to know too, eh?!)

We had new student orientation on Friday and it went lovely.  I finally felt prepared for it.  My classroom was and is at point where I feel comfortable with it.  It still isn’t perfect but it is livable.  I had six new students show up.  I showed them around the room, let them explore, talked to parents, and then we went on a tour.  Thankfully, both 4th grades went together so Deyla lead the tour and I followed.  There were many things she said or talked about that I was learning right along with the new parents! It was lots of fun though. The parents were great and the students were excited. I can’t wait to meet the rest of them!

As I said before school starts tomorrow. I am very very excited.  I am nervous about messing up school protocol but not really about being with the students! (that’s what it’s all about right?!?) We have lots of fun things planned. I am a little nervous about all the curriculum things that I still know nothing about.  I haven’t really planned anything educational, just fun get to know you stuff!

Two more fun things: I got a back pack the other day.  I have been wanting one to use when ride the motorbike to school. I feel much safer with it than I did with my one shoulder bag…. even though I sort of feel like a small child being taken to school. 


Also today I went with a few other girls to get my nails done! I got a manicure and bright pink sparkly nails. Total cost…160 baht, which is a slightly more than 5 dollars J I was very very happy to do this. Deyla and I decide we might have to make this tradition after each report card date! I definitely agree with her.  I did ask about getting massages and will have stories to tell once that happens. 

So that is all for now. I will try to post tomorrow about the first day of school.  Hope you all are doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment